Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Homemade laundry soap

I have seen several people on my FB feed talking about making their own laundry detergent.  I have been intrigued but not really investigated it.  I looked up the recipe and found that I could do 156 loads for about $10!  I am sold on that.  Not much investment if I don't like it right?  I will give it a shot this evening and see how it does. 

Here is the recipe that I will be using..

Ingredients:


1/3 bar Fels Naptha Soap ( Ivory and Zote will also work)

½ cup washing soda (found in the laundry section at most stores)

½ cup borax powder (the 20 Mule Team brand is a good choice)

2 gallons water



Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda (NOT baking soda) and the borax. Stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into a 2-gallon bucket. Add soap mixture and stir. Add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours until it gels. Use a ½ cup detergent per load of laundry

No comments: