Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Escape

With the election finally over and the new leader named, I decided it was time to take my mind off of disappointment and fear and get out of the house. I am not the most politically educated person (more so now being married to James, who can tell you what shoe size and kind of cereal each of the canidates have for breakfast) but I do know that the "Change" that America voted for is scarey, and unnerving. I continue to pray for our country.

Victoria and I took the babies and headed out of the house early today to cash in some tickets to the Forest Discovery Center up in Starlight. Mamaw gave them to us last Christmas and I have held onto them forever. We love gift certificates for things to do.

It was really neat, I have to say. They had a room that was an indoor forest complete with stuffed animals and eduacational material on how to identify trees based on the leaves and how imprortant reforestation is. We enjoyed the movie theatre inside and watched the movie about the acorn that turns into a tree. The babies were even mesmerized. We took the babies out of the stroller and let them play in the wooden blocks and the only time that they cried was when we put them back in. You should of seen Addison walking one way with a block in her hand and Anthony with 2 blocks in each hand going the other. They liked knocking over the castle that Victoria and I was making.


here is the man made tree that you can walk through in the activity area. Everyone got to sign their name on the tree to state that they would take care of the trees. Victoria signed her new favorite thing to draw.. a heart.


At the end of the tour we walked this overhead catwalk overlooking Koetter Woodworking Factory. They had stations that you stopped at explaining each phase of how a tree becomes a piece of crown molding or base board or a door. I was unaware that in Starlight, In they made the wood work for the oval office in the White House, bet "Baramahama" didn't know that.


You can see in this pic the path suspended from the ceiling. Victoria was NOT a fan of how high the path was above the factory. Her knuckles were white gripping onto the stroller. There were some tears shed but she made it. I just had to keep her distracted.


When we left the Discovery Center, we headed to Huber's. We enjoyed a cookie by the pond and shared a lemonade. It was one of the most enjoyable days that I can remember. It was nice to get out of the house and have a date just me and my kids. We needed that.

No comments: