Thursday, May 7, 2009

more bad news.....

Not a whole lot of good news to report today. My sister called to give us the scoop from her pre-op appointment and Ariel's doc appointment today. My sister has been trying to get an appointment with the doc for Ariel because her spine is still curved and actually looking worse than it did prior to surgery. She was told that they didn't' want to expose her to any more X-rays and to call back later. She got some advice from a co-worker to email a pic of Ariel's spine to the doc and what do you know had an appointment within a week of the email.

Ok the bad news. When Ariel had her surgery they put 3 screws into her spine. Within one week of the surgery one of the screws came out and was in danger of puncturing organs and they had to open her up again. The surgeon, while in there, checked the other screws to make sure that everything looked the way that it should. They closed her back up and sent her on her way with a back brace and a follow up appointment for 8 weeks from the date of surgery. The X-ray showed today that the other two screws that "looked great" are now out and her scoliosis is now in worse shape than it was prior to surgery. Ariel will have to have another surgery. The screws are not in any danger of puncturing any organs or doing anymore damage and my sister was urged to get a second opinion. They referred her to the first surgeon that she spoke with and didn't care for. They also gave her an option of someone in Cincinnati or Indianapolis.

My sister is facing all of this with a surgery of her own scheduled for the 13th of this month with 6 weeks of radiation to follow. She is contemplating having a full mastectomy due to the 0% chance that she would have to deal with this again. If she is to have Ariel's surgery in Cincinnati or Indianapolis then what about her radiation? She is facing some major decisions in life and really needs some prayer power. Only God can give her the answers, strength, and wisdom that she is needing to make these decisions.

Plus my father-in-law had a PET scan done a few days ago and they found a spot that they are wanting to check out. They are thinking that the Cancer is back again. I don't have a lot of details at this point on where, just that they are wanting to do some further tests.

The one good thing is that I haven't had a cigarette in 3 days. I am ready to pull my hair out and my children are running for cover. I can't make any promises with all of this going on but it is a start. I need to quit talking about it, I want one BAD!!

No comments: