Saturday, June 27, 2009

And the award for Mother of the year goes to..........

OK first of all let's just state the obvious, there is a lot going on in my life. My life of stay at home mom isn't the life of leisure that I had anticipated and having 3 kids to keep track of has done nothing to help the fact that I am a scatterbrain.

Mom and Dad offered to watch the babies this Saturday and James and I took the opportunity to take Victoria on a date (just the 3 of us) to see the movie Up. Brooklyn was with us this weekend and she had already seen the movie so she opted to stay with Mamaw Craig. James was going to drop her off before we headed to church and was going to help mow his parents lawn while I stayed at church to help out in Large Group during the 2nd service.

We went to 4 o'clock service. Great service and I must say that the following events prove that I was totally taking what George, our pastor, said to heart. The sermon was on the Sabbath and about disengaging from the world during the Sabbath. We had all of the kids checked in (except for Brooklyn at Mamaw's) and after 4 o'clock service Mom and Dad took the babies out of their class and headed off to their house for fun and games. James gave me a kiss goodbye, headed off to mow, and I took Victoria down to her classroom for kids that are at church for two services I ended up hanging out and watching 11 kids until their regular teacher arrived. LOTS of energy those 11 kids let me tell ya! Once their teacher arrived I was fleeing out the door to go upstairs for large group.

Large group went great and I hurried out of church so that I could meet up with James to help out with my in-laws yard if needed and get ready for our date with Victoria. I was about 2 minutes away from their house (about a 10 minute drive) and my phone ran. I looked at the caller ID and saw that it was Crissy my friend at church that runs large group. I answered...

Crissy:"Kelly, have you already left the building?"

Me: "Yes, I am heading to meet James Why? What do you need?"

Crissy: "Ummmm, Victoria is still here in her classroom"

Me: "OH MY GOSH I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT I FORGOT THAT SHE WAS TILL THERE!"

(Ridiculously quick and sharp U turn on Green Valley Rd and mashing on the gas)

Crissy: "Well we were just wondering. We saw your Mom and Dad leave with Anthony and Addison and thought that we saw James walk out with them. It is OK I am here with her and I am going to take her to the playground in Bible land and let her play. She has no clue that you have left and thinks that you are still upstairs 'working' in large group."

I fly in the parking lot and run into the building to Bible Land. Victoria was there playing away and I'm red faced from embarrassment, and running. Victoria just turned around and gave me the usual "Hey Mommy! Man you must have had a lot of work to do. I was waiting and waiting and waiting and Miss Crissy came and got me and asked if I wanted to play and I told her SURE! Have you been upstairs?" I momentarily closed my eyes and did one of those "Please God forgive me for the sin that I am about to commit" prayers and told her "Yes" while I waited for the lightening to strike.

I can't believe that I did it, or well DIDN'T do it. I will not live this one down. From now on we are going to start doing head counts when we leave the parking lot. I am going to swallow this big lump of humility, shake the dust off and thank God that if I am going to forget one of my own kids that I forgot them at church. So embarrassing!

* After talking to the Early Childhood Director thanking her again for taking care of my kid I learned that I am not the first parent that has done the same thing. Shew!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Bless your heart! You've had a rough go at it! Please, please let me know what I can do. . .even if it is just to rant! :-) (Saw that post!) I'll call you later this week about dropping by.