Monday, March 22, 2010

Mamaw Memories

Today was a fun yet hard day.  My Papaw sold his farm and the house needed to be cleaned out.  All of my crew packed up in the car to go through some old memories of our childhood.  Most of my cousin's were out there and it was great to hang out with them a bit and reminisce. I was so delighted to find a snapshot of me and my cousins Tiff and Nik sleeping on the living room floor with our mattresses that we would drag down those stairs that seemed so much taller in my youth.  I remember how my Papaw would put $5 under our pillow but would always give me and Tiff (the oldest of the 3) a $5 bill but would give Nikki five $1 bills and she would spend the rest of the day bragging that Papaw gave her more money than us.  :)  I was able to retrieve a drop leaf table that always held the desserts at our family dinners at Mamaw's and the same table that I would eat my homemade doughnuts on. You can find a post about her doughnuts here.  Many beautiful bottles that I cleaned up and are now displayed on my shelf in the living room. I found a wooden bowl that I instantly fell in love with.  It was the first thing that I grabbed out of the house and as I carried it out of the front door Dad told me that he made it in his Freshman year of High School.  So neat!  But I have to say that my most precious treasure is Mamaw's ceramic potato.  That thing has always cracked me up.  Mom said that she was with her when she found it at a Goodwill a long time ago.  Mom said Mamaw just scooped it up under her arm as soon as they walked in the door and Mamaw just fell in love with it.  I kept teasing my cousin's that one of us needed to take the potato home and it can't be left to go to the dump.  I snuck it into my cousin Chris' car and she caught me and somehow found a way to sneak it back into mine.  I decided to take it with me, it is just too silly to pass up on.  I just need to find someplace very special to put it. 

No comments: