Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happy 12th Birthday John and Athan!

Today is Johnathan's 12th birthday. I got an email from his mom Anne letting me know that he had a sleepover with some friends and is getting a phone for his birthday. He was chosen student of the month, out of 265 kids in his grade, at his school and continues to be an honor student. I still haven't heard from him directly but I love getting to hear how he is spending his special day. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will write me tonight. We will see.

11 years ago today I decided to celebrate his first birthday by getting a cake of my own. I went to the JayC grocery store in Sellersburg and headed to the bakery. I picked out a small cake and asked if they could put Happy 1st Johnathan. The little grandma must have had a hard time hearing me and asked me to repeat myself, after telling her "Johnathan, you know, like John and Nathan" to help her with the spelling she nodded to let me know she understood. I wandered around the store to pick up a few more things and headed back to the bakery to pick up my cake. I set it in my cart and headed to the front to make my purchase. I glanced down as I was walking away from the bakery to notice what the kind little grandma had written on my cake. "Happy 1st John & Athan". I almost wet my pants from laughing. It really took the edge off of the sadness that I was unable to celebrate with him myself. I should have taken this as a sign from God that I was going to have twins down the road. I never did eat the cake because it continues to make me laugh. It still sets in my parents freezer.

No comments: