Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Latest trip to the ER

Yesterday morning Anthony woke up struggling to breathe. In a panic I called James and my Mom. James called his mom and told her to hurry over and take care of Addison and Victoria so that I could rush Anthony to the ER. I hurried to Floyd Co. and immediately noticed the difference from going to the ER at 1am, to 8am. There was only one person in the waiting room. I was floored to find that Anthony's oxygen was at 97% even with his wheezing and labored breathing. He was immediately sent to a room and we sat there for 6 hours. One shot of steroids, a breathing treatment, and an X-ray later we were admitted. The doc said that Anthony's breathing was still labored so he wanted to keep him for observation. I had my mom bring me some clothes and watch him while I headed off to the cafeteria to get some food before we got our room. I am not a fan of the hospital but hospital visits with a toddler are even more intersting because it isn't like you can leave the room and go to the bathroom when he is hooked up to monitors. I tried to get everything that I could done before mom left.

We entered our room and I tired to get him to sleep to give him and my back some rest. He was hooked up to a heart monitor, oxygen and respiratory monitor too. At about 4:30 his eyes were closing and my Mother-in-law came into visit. He was wide awake after that 5 minute visit and it was 10pm before he finally gave way to some sleep. He had been poked and held down enough he was exhausted!

This morning we waited for the doctor to call during his lunch time. Anthony had to have another breathing treatment (treatment #3) early in the morning and the doctor said that if he didn't need another one by lunch time, when the injection from the night before wore off, that we should be in the clear. He was finally released at 2pm today. Off to the pharmacy we go with Grandma Harb behind us. Papaw Craig was in line at the Pines waiting on the bus for Victoria to get off and we all met up at the house around 4. Anthony is feeling great and wound up on the steroids. He has been quite funny and has been able to keep food down since he has been home. I hope we are in the home stretch of this. My poor little guy, he is strong as an ox but as fragile as a toothpick.

I am so glad to be home. Now it is time to play catch up. Payday is tomorrow got to get the checkbook balanced and bills organized, laundry to get caught up, homework, and picture day is fast approaching on Friday. We need to put together the perfect outfit. Back to reality tomorrow, I have searched my home for a nurse call button. Unfortunately my home doesn't have one. I guess I will have to get my own coffee and juice. Does this mean that breakfast isn't just going to show up at my door in the morning? Bummer!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I am so, so sorry to hear this Kelly. Please let me know if I can do anything. If you ever need a babysitter at the last minute, please don't hesitate to call.