Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The incredible shrinking house

Funny how a home feels so much smaller when you are snowed in. Victoria was sick earlier this week and I decided it was my turn yesterday. There is a flu bug crawling around our house. If I find him be sure that I am going to smack him with a fly swatter. Yesterday I felt horrible! I didn't leave the couch much. James left around noon and I barely made it through the rest of my day. Victoria made herself very helpful taking care of mommy. For as nuts as she makes me on some days, when I am sick she really becomes a helper. We sat on the couch last night watching our favorite show America's funniest pets and people. She made sure I stayed covered up with my blanket and had plenty to drink. She would come over to my side of the couch and brush my hair out of my face and kiss my forehead. She can be such a sweetheart!

Today I am feeling better but not exactly "with it". Victoria and I watched Toy Story 2 on the couch today and cuddled for a bit before I fixed my famous pancakes. The snow didn't hit quite as hard as they talked about last night but the ice that is setting in looks wicked. Our lil Charlie Brown Christmas tree outside in the front yard looks quite bogged down with ice. My car is completely encased in it. Being "stuck" makes our home feel half the size as it is. I need to get out!

We didn't make it out of the house much this weekend. James spent most of his time home with his dad. Papaw is still in the hospital. The doc's have given him about 2 years if he responds to chemo and about 6 months if he doesn't. They also told Vicki that infection could take him immediately. They are doing more tests on his kidneys. They have told us that there is nothing that they want to go into detail about with his kidneys. "Don't worry about it" they say. If they are not going to give us all of the info then why even bother telling us what else could be going wrong. He still hasn't passed anything into his colonoscopy bag and they are concerned about that. They have him on 4 bags of meds in his IV to help him digest food but they don't seem to be working. His stomach is beginning to swell again. They are getting ready to send him to a rehabilitation center in New Albany because he needs 24/7 supervision and their insurance will only take care of in home health for 5 days. Gotta love insurance! Hopefully he can regain some strength in rehab to be able to handle some chemo. We have heard horror stories about chemo and are not looking forward to what is ahead of us. We just keep praying for a miracle.

No comments: