Thursday, February 12, 2009

Trash can swap

Anyone in the area knows what I am talking about. We had some wicked winds yesterday. Victoria the babies and I drove over to the church and hung out during the storm warning. We have a storm shelter here in The Pines but it is basically a basement under storage units with one TV that you can't hear and a room full of senior citizens. Fine for me but not for the little ones. Plus everyone in the neighboorhood heads there and you have to park so far away that it isn't worth leaving the driveway, just walk there from home. The rain started and the winds picked up, the babies were asleep and I needed a game plan. I quickly ran into the kitchen and made pb&j sandwiches and some snacks and threw the kids in the car and headed over to church where they have an awning to get the kids out of the car without drowning them and a play area. Victoria explained to the office staff we were there to be safe but know that God is going to take care of us. We wondered around the church for about an hour or so till the winds subsided a bit and headed home.

This is where the trash can swap comes into play. After every wind storm we all have new trash cans. Yesterday was trash day and everyone set out there cans and headed to work. Empty trash cans and 50 mph winds don't mix well. I finally recovered ours and returned a few that I recognized and dodged several in the road making my way home. Minimal damage to the house just underpinning popped out and our swing toppled over. We are safe and have electricity. From what I understand about 14,000 in the area are without. We must have super electricity here in our home.

No comments: