Friday, January 14, 2011

Blogaholic!

I am totally hooked on home decor blogs.  I could go on and on about Nester, Better After, Thrifty Decor Chick,Crazy Domestic.  I am just 100% hooked.  I get a bit done on my list for Jan and then I go to my computer and I am there for what seems like forever but time gets away from me.  One thing I like about the kids being older and having twins they are in a stage where they get into their fair share of fights but all in all love playing together and I can read my blog with the sound of laughter over my shoulder.  Here are some things that were inspired by my time at the computer.  I had a ball!


 Mom brought me over these basic square vases to use and I instantly saw a blank canvas. So with some tissue paper and some Mod Podge I turn them into this for about $7 for two of them. 
 
 
 This clock I found at Goodwill for less than $4.  I forgot to get a before pic. But it was basically the bare wood that you see on the sides but I covered the face with the scrapbook paper that inspired the room. Well I guess I should say inspiring the room.
 Here is a fun idea I totally stole from one of the blogs I now follow.  Mom brought these over with the vases.  I have been looking for cheap 12X12 frames to put my scrapbook paper in for the walls but can't find any.  So mom brought these over.  I believe she got these at a Family Dollar or something.  ...

 Here is what they looked like before.  After some scrapbook paper, some acrylic paint, and some old silverware TA-DA!
 Here is another one.  I ended up changing the background paper.  Didn't jive well with me as much as the blue and green.  I changed it to a nice green damask on white paper with the same yellow frame and silverware. Total investment about $0.00.  I already had this stuff laying around and mom gave me the framed art.
 Oh I love these!  This is one of my favorites.  I grabbed a frame I already had painted it black and the grabbed some beading wire at Walmart and in about 10 minutes had this modern looking earring holder that doubles as wall art.  How cool is that right?  The only thing that I had to buy was the beading wire and that cost under $3! 
 Ah yes remember me talking about garbage day?  Well this is the door that I snagged out of the trash down the street.  Here is the before and I am working on the after.  I have the chalkboard paint already on it just need to get the rest of the hardware off and paint the frame.  I picked a cute red from the Martha Stewart collection at Home Depot.  Did you know that they will custom mix a color for you as a sample?  They may have done this for a long time but I am super jazzed about it.  How many times do you want to do a small project and won't need a whole pint of paint?  Will be making more trips to Home Depot.
 Taping it off for the Chalkboard paint.  So easy to work with. I am thinking about doing the wall that separates the living area and the kitchen so that the kids can draw on it.
 Another Mod Podge creation.  I wrapped this in fabric that I used in my kitchen and I use it to hold my stir sticks for my coffee.
 My very first window "mistreatment".  A term that The Nester coined.  It is a window treatment that is a no sew or little sew and takes no longer than 15 minutes.  This is all pinned up on my window and there isn't one stitch sewn on it.  Just one yard of fabric with the raw edges tucked in and two yards of polka dotted ribbon.  And yes the sign above says " I have a kitchen because it came with the house. "
 Next project is my towel rack for the sink.  Just a piece of wood I grabbed from my parents basement and some old forks= FREE!  I ended up just hot gluing it to the cabinet.  Window treatment for about $6!  Window candles Goodwill $1 for all 4 and the cute little bottles were 13 bucks at Hancocks marked down to $1.30 each!  I even used some of the left over fabric and rehung the little plaques with it.  You can see one to the left.
 This was a board similar to this and just recovered it.  I do have to let you know that I used staples that were too long while doing this project and ended up stapling this project the the kitchen counter. I had to do some pulling and tugging to get it off.  It was quite comical.
 This is a new one that I gave for a Christmas present.  I am loving the wreaths that I am seeing out there.  This one is just a Styrofoam wreath wrapped in yarn and then I cut, sewed and glued these handmade flowers on it.  It turned out super cute!
 A close up of the flower. 

Well there ya have it these are my latest creations.  Now I need to quit blogging myself so that I can see if there are any new posts on Design Sponge.  lol!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Wow! You rock! AND, you've been busy! I love all your craftiness! We need to get together for a craft night. You're inspiring me! :)

BTW, love the flower on the wreath. You have to show ne how to do those. I've seen them added to shirts, purses, ballet flay shoes. Too fun! And they don't look that hard.