Monday, January 24, 2011

Things I will miss

-His random comments made in the middle of a conversation that he isn't involved in just because his hearing was so bad and he didn't know anyone else was in the room.  :)  This would usually end in his standard "Hell I don't know" when we said "What?"

-His always exposed butt crack whether he had a belt on or not.  Sometimes I wonder if he didn't walk so slowly due to not getting around well.  I think he was just trying to keep his pants up.

-One time we went camping and I was in the camper bent over getting something out of the cabinets by the door.  I heard the door open and someone smacked me on the butt.  I turned to find Papaw shocked to see my face.  He thought I was Mak and was trying to scare her.  Think he got more scared than she would have when he realized what he did. 

-Going to Holiday World and leaving him with the candy for trick or treater.  We walked back by after doing a lap and he yelled at us "We need more candy!". We looked over at our campsite to find Papaw sitting in a lawn chair over top a mound of opened candy wrappers.  We let the diabetic be unattended with a bucket of candy and he thought he was getting away with something while sitting on a pile of evidence. 

-Can't believe I am going to say this but I am going to miss him sneaking Victoria and any of the grandkids Little Debbie oatmeal creme pies before coming home from a visit.  The sugar rushes were horrible but now realize that it was a special thing that the grandkids could always depend on from him.  (this also reminds me of my Papaw giving us teaspoons of straight sugar in the kitchen as my mom and dad would be calling in the other room "It's time to go.")

-Golf cart rides around the neighborhood.  Myself and the grandkids.  Never knew cruising around the block at 2mph could be so refreshing.

-His obsession with watching the news.  Every Time I saw him he would start a conversation "What do you think about the..." and I never knew what he was talking about because I wasn't a news watcher.  Once he caught on that I didn't watch it usually was a conversation about the juiciest gossip in the family or neighborhood.

-How much the kids would light up at the sight of him walking through our door.

-Going to the benefit dance for the Cancer Center and them raffling off all of the door prizes.  Papaw sat around the whole time waiting to see if he was going to win anything.  He won a jar full of candy and he was ticked that the diabetic won a jar of candy after all that waiting.  Notice above Halloween story....

-Seeing him in his permanent spot on his recliner in the living room along with his dog.

-How when Victoria would spend the night from time to time I would be surprised by him taking her to his prize rose bushes that he got from his moms so that they could cut me some roses to make me smile.

He was a good man an incredible Grandpa and he will be so missed.  We are so glad that he is no longer suffering and that the words "I don't know I just don't feel good" will never leave his lips again.  We love ya Papaw and we hope your new golf cart has an awesome paint job and a killer stereo system. 
-

No comments: