Friday, January 14, 2011

Project of the day

Today's project consisted of finishing my dining room window.  I have had a shelf that I got at Goodwill for $1.00 for a few weeks.  It is just a basic shelf with an outdated country heart cut out in the middle.  It just happened to fit perfectly over my window.  I am proud to say that I hung it myself and made the valance with my Hobby Lobby fabric.  I learned something today as much as I like the ruffles (especially hiding that heart) I hate sewing ruffles.  My sewing machine and I didn't get a long too well today and I ended up sewing on the polka dot ruffle and pinning on the flower one.  So if you come over and check this out be care don't' get poked.  The pics look familiar from the previous post and you can see the change of paper in the one silverware frame.  Like the green damask much better!  The bottle that used to sit in my sink window are now housed on this shelf along with my soup can vase creation and something that I am very fond of, my picture holders.  These come with a story.  My mamaw (dad's mom) loved to quilt.  When I was little I remember many things about my Mamaw but one thing I especially remember was playing with her big box of wooden spools.  When she passed and my grandpa sold the farm I only wanted to get those spools but ended up falling in love with some other things as well when we went to clean out the house.  I grabbed some of my beading wire (remember from the earring holder) and threaded it through the hole in the middle spiraled it around and placed my pics in the spiral.  The photo on the left is me and my Mamaw when I was 2 months old in the kitchen of our old house.  The one on the right is me when I was a kid making Christmas cookies in that same kitchen.  Pardon that dumb wire from my hanging lamp.  Still can't figure out how to hide that stupid thing.  Still would like to get a little chandelier for the dining room table.

1 comment:

Jill said...

How creative are you?! I love how you incorporated pics of you and your grandma with the spools. :)