Thursday, August 25, 2011

Everything but the kitchen sink

Oh how I wish that this post was about Ben and Jerry's everything but the kitchen sink ice cream.  Unfortunately it is not!  Plumbing!  I am not a fan of plumbing!  Been having trouble with the kitchen sink since we have moved in here and paid close to 200 to get the pipe snaked for a clog.  He told me that there was no guarantee as the pipe had no steady pitch and was level in most of the exposed pipe with the added bonus of going uphill in some areas.  He said if that is what is exposed in the pipe that he hated to think of what was in the drywall.  My sink worked for about 2-3 weeks and now won't drain again.  James mechanic's son's best friend (you following that?) is a plumber for the city of Sellersburg and was willing to help us out for a fraction of the cost.  Super sweet guy and was going to charge us less than half of what the other plumber charged to snake the pipe.  He came by yesterday and checked out the situation to make sure he had the equipment to do the job.  He cut one piece of pipe and created more of a pitch in the exposed plumbing.  He said he would come back today and finish the job.  No problem one more day without a sink and dishwasher.  I can do that right?  He came today and snaked the pipe after cutting and fitting a new pipe under the sink.  He ran the water in the sink and things were looking good for a while until water began to rise yet again.  He turned off the water and we headed downstairs to run the snake backwards from the basement.  I held a trashcan over my  head where the clean out was and prayed that the pipe would open and not on my head.  He warned that this could get REALLY nasty REALLY quick and to just hold the trash can up right by the snake.  Fingers crossed eyes closed and praying for my life I held the trashcan over my head until my knuckles were white.  He snaked it and got no where.  We called James as he had just taken off to get his load to California to get permission to cut into the drywall.  Two cuts into the finished basement and he was scratching his head.  He found another clean out that was hidden in the ceiling of the basement.  It is pointing sideways and he is unable to get it without cutting a much larger section of drywall out and even then if that is where the clog is and it breaks free we have a huge mess on our hands and it would dump water into our ceiling in the basement.  He was reluctant to move on and talked to James saying that he wasn't comfortable moving on in the job until James was home to give the ok to move further.  He would be able to fix it but didn't want to tear any walls down without James supervision and "in person" permission.  I couldn't blame him really.  Problem is that James had left about 2 hours before the plumber had gotten here and he was on his way with a two stop load to California with a back haul to Michigan not due to be back until next Friday.  So I am without kitchen sink and dishwasher for a total of 13 days (including the time I have been waiting on the plumber to be called) when James will be home.  If anyone needs me I will be washing my dishes in the fountain in our front yard.  I am sure it will give my nosey neighbor a good story to spread.  Heck I could put a dish drainer right beside me and grab a scrub brush and finish off my dishes from dinner with a bath for myself.  Maybe shave my legs?  I'm so tempted.  :)

1 comment:

Jill said...

I'm a good dishwasher! Would love to help in anyway, girl! :)