Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I thought we were friends!

My buddy Marlina and I have been on the fitness track encouraging each other to be better in what we eat and working out. She sent me home with her BASICS ( I stress "basics") to yoga DVD. She is into it and wants me to get up to speed so that I can do Yoga with her when we work out. I happily took the DVD and borrowed yoga mat and headed home. I walked to my car feeling very confident, thinking "OK yoga 'whatever' I don't see how this is going to do anything" Well today I got the opportunity to pull out that DVD and give it a try. I didn't even bother getting a water bottle to keep near by. The instructor began with a simple downward facing dog position (OK no big deal) I got into that position and realized that in the time it took me to get into "downward facing dog" the "dog" had already faced about 3 other ways. Here I kneeling, crouching and stand and sit in the living room with Victoria in the kitchen eating her spaghetti o's saying "Mom you are doing a good job". I am teetering over, losing my balance, and finding it hard to breathe as I try to find my toe to grab so that I can stretch it to the other side of the room (yea OK that is easy!!) I have never felt so uncoordinated in my life! Typically I can catch onto things that require movement coordination and things of that sort, but let me tell you this yoga is no joke! I did two 10 minutes sessions and I ready to call it quits so that I could catch my breath and put the couch upright again since I tried to knock it over while attempting the downward facing dog with the leg extension. I think I am going to have my work cut out for me trying to keep up with Marlina in this yoga experience. I think next attempt will be supervised with a spotter to keep my lamps and chairs from falling over as I try to maintain my balance standing on my head with my legs tucked behind my ears. "Oh I love yoga it is so relaxing" HA!

No comments: