Thursday, October 11, 2007

Mommy's first day alone with stroller!

I would of given a good amount of money to have a video tape of me yesterday. James parents wanted to have Victoria for the night and that meant that I would be one child less. I immediately called my friend Leslie to see if by chance she would have an appointment open to get my hair colored. She did at 3 right after my 2 o'clock feeding I was set. I started getting everything ready around 5am (that is about how much time that it takes to get everyone packed and ready to go by myself. I almost went ahead and put the kids in the car seats the night before) I headed off to the salon and came out looking wonderful!! She did such a good job and it felt great to be blond again at the scalp. It had been since July!

After my mommy makeover I headed to meet another friend Marlina at the mall in Louisville. She was having her car worked on and happened to be in town and looking for something to do herself. I called as I was driving into the parking lot with screaming children. You see it was 6 and that meant a bottle was suppose to be ready and waiting.....it was not! She, like a good friend offered to help me unload everyone, me like and idiot thought "oh no I can do this no problem" This would be the first time that I alone set up stroller (as long as a bus) and attached everyone and packed it up. Let me add for those of you not living in this area yesterday it decided to be fall and have a cool crisp feel to the air borderline cold.

OK are you ready......deep breath.........I opened the hatch and pulled out the stroller opened it up and pulled down the backrest to the back seat and lifted up the seat part to get it ready to attach the infant seat. Moved to the front to drop the cup holder tray and pull the cross bar through the hole in between the dropped tray and the bottom of the seat lifted up the attachment and pulled out the extension bars. I then moved into safety mode and locked the wheels so I wouldn't turn to find mt stroller on the other end of the parking lot . I didn't know that the wheels were locked already so I was in fact unlocking them and the stroller started to move in the front so I locked one of the wheels in the front. I needed to adjust where the stroller was by the car so I could open the door to get a baby out. Remember they are both screaming in the car through all of this. When I tried to move the stroller I forgot that I had just locked that wheel in the front and go to unlock not remembering if up is lock or if down was lock so I inevitably alternate what wheel is locked and unlocked several times before fighting back a scream alone in the parking lot by Sears. I finally figure it out and open the car door to find Addison near purple from the constant screaming for her mother. I take her out of her base and attach her to the front seat of the stroller, throw a blanket on her and grab the two straps to wrap around the seat to secure it. She is still screaming! I then try to move to the other side of the car. Again realizing that "one" of the wheels in the front is locked and still can't remember which one. I finally say "heck with it" and drag the stroller around to the other side of the car with the wheels locked up and Addison now getting a lil vibration from me half dragging and half bouncing the stroller to get her brother. I open the door to find Anthony surprisingly exhausted from crying and fast asleep with his pacifier in his mouth. (light bulb over head) I snatch the paci out of his mouth and shove, and I mean shove it into Addison's mouth. no crying. I get Anthony out of his base and place him in the back seat. Go back to the hatch and get my purse and diaper bag (where is Victoria when I need her?) and place my keys and cell phone in the handy dandy lil tray for myself. By this time Addison has fallen asleep and Anthony is screaming I look at Addison and then back at Anthony and snatch that paci right out of her mouth and give it to her brother, close what seems like all of the doors on my car and head to mall. As I am approaching the door I am trying to figure out how I am going to navigate my 30 foot long stroller into the double doors. I head in backwards and prop the door open with my foot grab a hold of the handle to the stroller and fling as much as I can in between the two sets of doors. Luckily the cashier saw me struggling and opened the second set for me. By this time Addison and Anthony are both awake and I have only one precious pacifier (again light bulb) I thought I had come up with a genius idea and grab my baby bottle out of the diaper bag and unscrew the top and shove it into her mouth of course it immediately falls out due to the hole in it taking away any chance of suction happening to keep it in her mouth. I finally give up and just start walking trying to look like I have it all together. I did meet up with Marlina and had a wonderful time visiting with old friends that I used to work with in the mall. I think tomorrow I am going to get that stroller out and with a sharpie put down is lock and up is unlock on the wheels of my stroller to make my life a lil easier.

Today I took the babies to meet their papaw Mac in LaGrange. I called mom and reminder her that Harvest Homecoming was this weekend. Harvest is a festival in downtown New Albany with craft booths and wonderful fattening food. I finally found a parking place and mom turned to me and asked if we were going to get the stroller out or just use the baby backpack carriers. What do you think I said????? Yep the carriers worked like a charm! Helped keep all of us warm too. I think now I am going to try to figure out a way to strap one on the back AND one on the front.

By the way I am aware I tend to ramble on. Love me anyway.

No comments: