Sunday, October 28, 2007

We won the prize!


Victoria and I are very proud this weekend. We attended a Halloween party and chili cook off for our friend Marlina's family and friends. We really enjoyed ourselves. James became nominated as an official chili taste tester and helped name (unknowingly) Marlina's grandma, the hostess of the party, as winner of the chili contest. Victoria and I won for best dessert. Our ghosts that we made earlier in the week and my latest concoction were a hit. I had so many left over pretzels and chocolate chips that I decided to get another package of white chocolate and make some Halloween bark. I just melted the chocolate and spread it on some wax paper. I then added crunched up pretzels and sprinkled them on the chocolate and added the mini chips and Halloween sprinkles. It wound up looking like the chocolate bark that you spend 20 dollars on for school fund raisers and get only 2 pieces. I was tickled because I spend the span of two days working on a cake that I thought would be a sure winner of the contest and it was hardly touched. It was two bunt cakes placed end to end on top of each other and frosted to make it look like a pumpkin. I just used marble cakes and added orange food coloring to the yellow to make Halloween colors and all. I mixed 3 different shades of orange in the icing and made leaves and stem out of pipe cleaner. I really sweat over that thing and it was barely touched. I think people were afraid to mess it up or something. I got tickled though it was proof that sometimes simple things are the best. Two day cake.....barely touched. 5 minute candy.......GONE!!

We then went on a hay ride in the field behind the party. We were all piled up on the first wagon ride and crept through the corn to be greeted by monsters with chainsaws and skeletons in trees. Needless to say we were not expecting this when we piled Victoria and Brooklyn on the wagon. The hay ride ended in tears from both girls and much more elbow room than we started with. The 7 or 8 pre-teen girls on the end of the wagon with us condensed themselves down to the seating space of about 2 people by the end of the ride. Each surprise guest from the surrounding woods moved them one foot closer to the tractor pulling us. We convinced Victoria that the glow necklace that Marlina gave her earlier was her protection from the monsters and she clung to it for dear life on the ride and never took it off even on the ride home. When we finally made our way home from Elizabeth IN we put the girls in bed and Victoria made sure I still had my glow bracelet on when I went to bed to make sure that the monsters wouldn't get me. How sweet she just wanted to make sure everyone was safe before she went to sleep. Surprisingly no nightmares that night for anyone.

On a side note Victoria got her first kiss tonight from Marlina's cousin Devin. He hung on her the whole night and was repeatedly in trouble from his parents for dragging her around his grandma's place like a dog on a leash. Apparently this happened on a walk that they took to "get married" in the back yard. Victoria came in to tell us that he kissed her and he never once denied it. He seemed almost proud. Shortly thereafter he dropped his pants in the yard and peed in front of God and everyone. Thankfully Victoria had decided she wanted to go in the house just before this display of "manliness"

No comments: