Sunday, July 5, 2009

Princess in our eyes.

.

Well she didn't win but do I have stories to tell. It was worth all of the work. I totally got all bummed that I didn't go all out on the float once we got there. The people that were in the parade behind us had a pipe buggy covered in camo painted cardboard and made a tank. So cute! We ended up using my Dad's truck and signs and purchased cut outs of flags and such, along with balloons and streamers. Victoria was very excited to see all of the people that "came out to see her" and had me laughing 5 minutes into the parade when she started noticing all of the food at the people's houses that we were driving by. "Oh Mom look they have chips. They are cooking hot dogs!" She then turned to me and said "Man, I wish I had some snacks to throw to the people" She really got a kick out of seeing some of the kids throw candy. On the parade route she got to see Mamaw, Papaw, Aunt Punkin, Darwin, Leslie, and her new "friend" and many people that I went to school with. She was beaming! She told me that she was getting nervous because she thought she might forget to wave to someone.

The rain started just as we got back to my mom and dad's house. Leslie and her friends made it back to my mom's house for some awesome food and played some pool and music while waiting for the actual contest to start. A 10am parade and 4:30 contest made for a long day for all of these kids. Leslie and I took Victoria into the bathroom and got her changed into her dress that Leslie bought for her for this occasion and touched up her makeup (a little mascara that she asked me repeatedly if her makeup still looked good through the parade). Strapped on her white high heal shoes that Grandma got her at a yard sale for $1 and we were off.

We arrived with umbrella in hand and made our way through the puddles to the bandstand. While observing the crowd we noticed that 3 other little girls had on Victoria's dress. Only one luckily was in the contest but we were still crushed. All of us parents piled the kids up on stage and took our seats hoping for the best. Victoria did great and was chatting with the 4th of July Queen and the little girl standing beside her. We were all laughing at her because Victoria was really having an intense conversation with this little girl (more on that later).

I am not really sure that I can relay how funny this was in print. Victoria did a great job when it was her turn to go up front. Nothing embarrassing at all. We were very proud. She even did a good job when it time to stand back in line and let the other kids take a turn until.........the other little girl with her dress was up for her turn to be announced. Her name was also Victoria. I wish I had a better picture of Victoria's face when she found this out. Her mouth dropped open she looked out in the rain soaked crowd to us and mouthed "OH MY GOSH SHE IS A VICTORIA TOO!!!!" while rapidly pointed back and forth at their dresses,as if we hadn't noticed that they were wearing the same dress. Our whole group was hanging off of the bench with laughter. It was very hard to compose ourselves. The other Victoria was to stand in front of our Victoria. We spent the rest of the contest watching Victoria try to get our attention the explain the irony of the situation. She checked out her shoes and accessories and talked and talked to the little girl. It was so precious. I wish I could have heard what Victoria was saying to her. I am sure that she was telling her the whole story of how Leslie got her dress and they went to Kohl's all by themselves and how her shoes had high heals. She was genuinely excited about this coincidence.

We didn't win but each and every kid got a trophy with their name on it. Victoria felt like a million dollars and thanked us over and over again for letting her be in the "con-tit-tition". It was so worth it!

-Apparently the little girl next to her in line (not the other Victoria) was telling Victoria "I am probably going to win" Victoria told me that she was telling her "Well you might win, you might not, you have to have fun and be a good sport." That's my girl!


The two Victoria's in the same dress.


The sparkle from the trophy matches the sparkle in her eyes that day.


She was having such a good hair day due to the rain.


I had to post this one too. So creative!


Victoria on our float. Thank you Grandpa Jerry for letting us use the truck

1 comment:

Jill said...

Kelly,
What great memories for Victoria! She looked gorgeous! :-)