Friday, December 14, 2007

Eating Christmas lights and Looking at Cheeseburgers.




Today I did something that I haven't done in while... spend time with my mom without children around. It seems like forever since her and I have been out of the house without kids and all of the gear that involves. She came down with dad to help me get groceries before the possible storm hit with ice and snow.

We left dad with a Star Wars movie and three children with full bellies. We hit the door so fast after the bottles were dry I don't think that are feet touched the ground. I was completely giddy with excitement!

I was finally at the end of another rough week with Victoria. Peeing our pants is the "new" thing, and it began the night before. I just try to keep rolling with the punches. I took the sheets off of the bed and replaced them with my favorite throw blanket from my bed and she decided to start pulling strings out and unraveling it (something we have told her over and over not to do). I had reached my limit and exhausted all possible forms of discipline and resolved that if she couldn't take care of her stuff then she wouldn't have any stuff. I very calmly, without saying a word and with her watching from her bed, walked into her room and took the toys bins, pillowcase, fake food and dishes, table, chairs, TV, and that poor pitiful Charlie Brown Christmas tree out of her room and put them in mine. Her room looked like a stripped down cell. She was devastated and looked at me like I had lost my mind. ( I am still not sure if I had ) She sat on her bed and just looked at her room crushed. Fingers crossed I hope that this works.

Mom and I ate at Moe's and had wonderful uninterrupted conversation and good food. We hit Sam's, the Christian bookstore, and then to the grocery store. Mom and I had a ball in Sam's and bought the babies the cutest coordinating pj's (pitured above) and found the perfect "gift from Santa" a Fisherprice Rainforest doll set with a stroller with lights and music just like Anthony and Addison's. It also has a swing, play mat, play pen, diaper bag that unfolds into a diaper changing station, the swing comes apart and becomes an infant carrier for her dolls. It is EXACTLY what the babies have and hopefully it will help her feel included in what is going on with the babies. Plus motherly guilt had set in and dad had said that she was being really good for him at home.

We head back to the house and get the groceries put away and I am still noticing this horrible smell that I have been trying to find for days now. While mom and I are putting away a load of laundry mom goes underneath the sink to put away some dish cloths and finds that my tub of overflow cleaning products is full of water that has leaked from the sink and begun to......let's just say.......become not so fresh. I was so happy that we had finally found the smell but about to lose my lunch because airing out the cabinet was really filling the house. Tears began to flow and mom suggested we get back out of the house. I told her we were grabbing a burger and she is going to join us in looking at Christmas lights.

I went into the closet to get slippers for all of us to wear, including mom, and stepped backwards onto a plastic bag that holds the secret stash of glow bracelets from the Halloween party. I opened the bag up and saw that I had busted the inside of six of them and activated the glowing. "So I guess that decides that, we are wearing these too." We help each other put our bracelets on while cracking up. As we were leaving Victoria asked if we were going to eat. Gramma Harb proudly announced that we were "Going to eat Christmas lights and look at cheeseburgers" Victoria thought that was hilarious and the rest of the night was filled with laughter, singing, some beautiful and some really really tacky Christmas lights and McDonalds chocolate chip cookies. We had a ball!

No comments: