Friday, June 6, 2008

Walking for Papaw

Today was the Relay Cancer walk in New Albany. I have to be honest I was dreading walking in the heat and dragging everyone out in it. James isn't home and may not be home this weekend and I miss him dearly when I am around his family and he isn't here. After listening to Victoria sing "Chain of food" (no typo) from Aretha Franklin we got into our T-shirts made for the occasion and headed out.

We had a really good time! There were so many people there and so much going on. They had inflatables for the kids to jump in, ice cream, people there doing haircuts and massages for donations and a live band with a DJ. The babies loved watching all of the happenings and of course were adorable in their T-shirts that Mamaw made for them with the colon cancer ribbon on the front and "I am walking for Papaw" on the back. This was the first time that I have participated in the walk. They had the track lined with luminary bags for all of the survivors and loved ones that have lost the battle to cancer. It was very touching to see all of the survivors take the first lap with such pride and accomplishment in their faces. We cheered Papaw on as he made his quarter of a lap before he headed to the tent for some shade. I don't blame him. We took laps for Papaw, Grandma Ragle (we lost her almost 2 years ago, she was Vicki's mom), my Grandpa Jack (lost him several years ago too he was my mom's dad) and a lap for friends of loved ones that are fighting this horrible sickness. It was such a beautiful and sad thing to participate in. I am very glad that I went.

After a few laps I took Victoria down to a fence that was covered in honeysuckle. I have been telling her about growing up and walking down country road eating the honey out of the blooms. I could see Victoria's mind working as I told her this story as she gazed down the hill looking at the flowers. She stopped in her tracks and looked me straight in the eye and said "This is where the bees puke?" I guess I should of held off on the details on where honey comes from a few weeks ago when she asked. She did get a kick out of sucking the honey out of the blooms with mommy though.

No comments: