Monday, June 30, 2008

Free to be ME!!

Today was the best day. It didn't start out so well stepping on the scale at my doc office, but quickly turned into one of the best days ever. I went swimming at my sister's house for a bit and enjoyed some good food off of her grill. She got such a kick out of watching the babies in the water. They put on quite a show!

Mamaw and Papaw took Victoria to Vincenes for the night last night and I got to share the house with the little ones. I enjoyed it. Mom offered to watch the babies for me tonight and I called James folks to see if I could interest them into watching Victoria for the night again so that I could hang out with Leslie by myself. They agreed and I sat in the car on the way home from Mom's house in complete shock! I don't think that I have had a night out with a friend alone since I have had the babies that I can remember. I drove home as fast as I could safely drive and called Leslie with the good news.

I didn't know what I wanted to do with my time so I left it up to Leslie. I have NO CLUE what cool people without children do anymore. I showered and enjoyed actually putting product in my hair along with ...........oooooooooooh..................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah..........MAKEUP!!! It took me a minute to figure out how that mascara wand worked again. It has been a while. I met up with her at Simplicity to see what they have done with the new salon. We drove downtown to 4th street and ate at The Pub. I cracked up at the men wearing kilts serving us. We enjoyed an appetizer of fried pickles and split an order of fish and chips.

After dinner she lead me to 21C. This hotel/art museum in downtown Louisville. It was the coolest thing that I have been in. They had all kinds of video art exhibits and I actually freaked out when I accidentally stepped on a couple sleeping on the floor. They had a place on the floor painted white and had a video projected down on the floor of a couple sleeping. They would shift and fluff their pillow and just lay there sleeping it was so cool! Another exhibit was a waterfall of letters on the wall leading to the elevator from another projector. They just showered down until you walked in the path of the video. When your shadow hit the wall the letters would bounce off of your shadow as if you were blocking the path. I have no clue how they achieved this but I stood there amazed for quite a bit. I even held up my hand and caught a letter T and held it with my shadow.

The exhibits were really neat and off the wall subject matters but the best part was the bathroom. In the hallway leading up the bathroom were different mirrors, I noticed but didn't think anything about it. When we walked into the bathroom I realized that the mirrors were 2-way mirrors. In the men's bathroom apparently the urinal is up against the wall directly under the 2-way mirror. So when the guys are doing their "business" they are watching everyone look at the art exhibits, or people checking themselves out and fixing their makeup in the mirror. It cracked me up! In the ladies room they had about 15 randomly placed LCD TV screens about 3 inches wide playing videos of eyeballs looking around as if they are just checking out the bathroom behind you.

The mascot of 21C is this red plastic penguin. It is about 2 1/2 foot tall and they are everywhere. We had it explained to us by a friend of mine that worked the front desk that they are encouraged to move them as they pass by one. My friend Jason took one and placed in the doorway of one of the rooms with it's beak touching the door so that when the occupants wake in the morning they will open their door to find a penguin just hanging out right outside their door waiting to greet them. He said that he has even placed them in unoccupied rooms in the shower and placed a shower cap on them. It was so cute. I am going to have to go back because they change the art work every 6 months. I can't wait to see what they come up with next!

We topped off the night with Krispy Kremes (as you can tell I wasn't worried about that number on the scale sitting in the drive thru) I haven't had that much fun in a long long time. It was great to just let down my hair, without worrying about someone pulling on it with tiny little fingers, and just being Kelly. It was a much needed break! I <3 Mondays!!

No comments: